Search This Blog

Tuesday 23 November 2010

Being a Guiri

It is strange being foreign in Madrid. Generally, people are extremely inviting and tolerant. Certainly Madrid is more “Guiri” friendly than say Barcelona or some of the tourist spots, but you do get the odd look.

The UK is a fairly secular country and Spain has its moments as well. Strangely enough though, I have only come across it from the older generation (65+) and Taxi drivers.

Sometimes it seems that when I speak English to my son, old ladies clutch their handbags to their chests and start walking quicker. I am sure a lot of this is due to the recent influx of “unwelcome” immigrants, rather than the investors and spenders. Also the cheap tourism to the “Costas” has a lot to answer for. If you sell a holiday including flights and hotel, all inclusive, for 400€ a week, what type of tourist are you inviting?

But I do feel that the older generation should remember that not so long ago, they were travelling the world looking for employment. When this is brought up in conversation, the reply is usually, “When we went to Switzerland we went with contracts and to work”.

OK, that is Switzerland, and they are not exactly inviting now. When you went to the UK,  France and even Germany, no contracts were asked for. People turned up and found work. I won’t lie and say there wasn’t racism. Of course there was. There are ignorant people the whole world around, but please don’t assume that just because we are a bit taller and talk like Michael Robinson, we are out to mug you.

I will add a note here, Spain is one of the most welcoming countries in the world, but things are changing. I do wonder how much this is related to the opening of the European borders.

Also, it is worth noting that this is extremely regional. The North of Spain is extremely inviting. I have had a number of drinks bought for me and recommendations of Restaurants. The only place I left assaying I would never go back was
Reus. I will explain what happened.

I turned to pick up a hire car, and they refused to speak Spanish and English with me. I did it French. I went to the hotel Zenit in Reus and again, they refused to recognize my Spanish, even when I was given a dirty room and was asked to pay in cash for my breakfast in bed, and go to the restaurant later for my change.

I am Welsh. My family speaks Welsh, but if someone from overseas spoke English to me I would congratulate them on learning a language I understand. The Welsh language is important. It is our culture and identity, but it is not a method of exclusion. Exclusion is for racists and xenophobes. Grow up the Hotel Zenit in Reus. I have 200 employees and we will never use a Zenit again!

Interesting fact. I found out where Chachi comes from. Chachi is a way of saying “superb”. It comes from WW2, when the British used to cross the border from Gibraltar to buy groceries. It is derived from “Here come the Churchill’s”.

Anyway, in reality this note is addressed to the old lady in my apartment who when I was in the lift with my son, talking in English, said “Look at all thee foreigners moving into the building. Disgusting”. Old lady, I am paying for your pension so enough.

3 comments:

  1. I'm Spanish, an I won't defend Spanish people that pretend that they don't understand an Engish speaker he speaks Spanish.
    But I have to say that the same thing happened to me when I was living in the UK and spoke English to English people. They pretended they didn't understand me most of the times. The worst thing was when someone from a travel agency didn't understand me when I was trying to buy a plane ticket to Madrid, because they didn't understand me when I said the word "Madrid"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Youre right. We are terrible as well. However I was travlling with someone Spanish and they "didnt understand" her either, when I was in Reus.

    By the way, if you pronounced Madrid with the th at the end, that would be the problem ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. My worst experience of Spanish racism has been when a black friend from London visited me here on the CDS... she wanted to see the 'real Spain' on her first night, but never again we spent the rest of her visit in tourist bars. Never have I been more ashamed of my adopted country.

    ReplyDelete