Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 March 2011

Madrid Taxi drivers.

Madrid Taxi drivers. They are a breed unto themselves.

My office is based in campo de la Naciones, and I had two managers fly in from the UK to meet here. They came in to Barajas on separate flights and took Taxis to come to my office. One, Martin, paid 22€. A normal price for that journey.  Alan, paid over 70€ and managed to get to see Cibeles and Moncloa! Quite an impressive route. I will let you draw your own conclusions from this true story.

Also, these people who work on the road, have to have passed a driving test at some stage? It seems that if your car is white, with a red stripe down it, the normal laws of the highway don’t count. You can change lane without using indicators or mirrors. White lines and road markings are for decoration and no other reason. No other drivers on the road have any rights whatsoever, and only other Taxi drivers exist. Other drivers are just a nuisance.

Then incredibly after providing pretty poor service and being fairly opinionated about foreigners (I think this goes for all Taxi drivers in the whole world except perhaps New York), taxi drivers o on strike as they don’t want licenses being given to private hire companies. God forbid that there is competition, or another way to get to and from a location. I mean, it not as if Madrid Taxi drivers know where they are going!!! I live in a fairly main road and still out comes the GPS every time I ask to go home. Tell them the route and the huffing starts.

Oh yeah, and to finish off. I once had to ask a Taxi driver to take me to the police, as after we pulled out (literally 2 meters) of Charmatin station to go home, he told me the location was too close, he wasn’t going to take me, but I had to pay the train station fee!! He was told the address, before I even got in!!

Still, at least the cars are high quality, clean and don’t smell of cigars.

No comments:

Post a Comment