Search This Blog

Thursday 4 November 2010

Driving in Madrid

Every day I drive from Plaza Castilla in central Madrid to Campo de las Naciones, on the outskirts. It so stresses me!!!

I have made afew observations. I think that drivers grade their skill on how close they can drive to the bumper in front of them. Have you ever tried changing lanes where the gaps between the cars are meaured in microns, and then for good measure you chuck in a few motocylces, that went to the Kamikaze school of driving, collecting wing mirrors for a hobby driving down the white lines?

Now of course that Spain has discovered Formula 1 (everyone one is an expert now) this is done at about 140 KMH.

I read a statistic thatyou were 7 tme more likely to be killed on a Spanish road than in the UK, and it isn't because the roads are worse, it isn't because they drive faster, it isn't because there are more drivers...it is because by te time you have braked, you have gone through 3 cars in front of you. Braking Distance!!!!

Oh, and it really isn't necessary for all the cars to be in the Middle Lane, with the occasional car going slower in the fast lane. If I am in a rush, I just stick to the right and have a clear lane all the way from Madrid to La Coruña.

I have noticed that the further I get from Madrid, the better the driving gets, so maybe its a Madrid thing.

Did you know that in one weekend on the A3 of 80 people were killed? Thats Iraq war levels.

Oh yeah, I forgot. these Kamikze bikers now want to remove crash barriers, because when they hit them really fast they hurt, or can kill. Hey, here is an idea. Slow down and stop driving like a complete nutter. Respect the road laws and chill. Just an idea. Otherwise next they will be wanting to widen the roads at corners so they can take them faster!

No comments:

Post a Comment